This home was built in 1809 by Arthur Thome, who owned and operated the flour mill which adjoined his property.
Thome was a slave owner, and it is believed that his slaves were instrumental in the construction of the house. Immediately prior to The Civil War, James Thome, Arthur’s son, had become involved in the abolitionist movement and was part of the slavery debates at Lane Theological Seminary in Cincinnati. James eventually convinced his father that slavery was wrong, and Thome emancipated his slaves. As a result of this action, the Thome family was forced to move from Augusta and Bracken County. The home was subsequently owned by William C. Marshall, an attorney and councilman who served as Provost during the Battle of Augusta.